Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It’s a Small World

I spend waaaay to much time zooming in Google maps to see how close I can get. I’ve seen my car parked in front of my apartment, and my parents’ cars, and the lounge chairs at the neighborhood pool… Don’t tell anyone, but I sometimes type in any old zip code to see where I end up – I’ve gawked at everything from million dollar houses with humongous pools next to golf courses to some pretty sketchy trailer parks. It’s pretty interesting to see how the other half lives, no matter what half you happen to be.

Back in the day (if the day was in 1895), the map of the famous Chicago settlement Hull House served the same purpose. It showed the locations of 18 immigrant groups crowded into 12 blocks. This colorful, geometric spectacle is going to be on display at the Walters Art Museum’s map exhibition in March. (Keep the map on your screen for a while; people will think you’re playing Tetris.)





4 comments:

Cham said...

Mapping, not a hobby, a lifestyle.

Dug said...

I like the way the Swiss are colored as if they're a subset of the Italians and the Poles as a subset of Russians. Then again if I was Swiss or Polish I'd probably be a bit irked. BTW - steal my maps all you want - most of them are stolen from elsewhere anyway!

Dug said...

Yeah - I've done things like the zip code on google before too. I wonder if there's therapy for people like us.

Hugh Yeman said...

This is one of the many maps near the end of the exhibit that I didn't have time to see when I visited the Field Museum in January. I was focusing on the historical maps. When I see the exhibit in Baltimore I'll make a point to check this one out - if I can tear myself away from the van den Keere double hemisphere projection, the Mercator projection, the Waghenaer coastal map, the Ptolemy Geographia, the Cassini Carte de France...