Tuesday, March 25, 2008

On Repeat

You know how a song gets stuck in your head and you can’t stop singing it to yourself? Well, I’ve got 100 images stuck in my head. I can’t stop thinking about Maps: Finding Our Place in the World at the Walters Art Musuem.

I’m trying to pick my favorite piece in the exhibit. So far (for the moment, temporarily, for now) I’ve narrowed it down to two.


Geological map of England 1815-17


“The Map that Changed the World”, as it is often called, is very, very cool. It is the first geological map of England and it helped to correctly date the earth for the first time (not that there’s anything wrong with using the Bible as your guide, mind you). Plus – it is huge – 6’x 9’!

Map of London on Glove for the Great Exhibition of 1851.


Yes, I know the glove map is everywhere. It’s been a little over used to promote the exhibit - blah, blah, blah. Nonetheless it is very cool to actually see it in person. It was created for the first Worlds Fair in 1815. A lady visitor could wear it on her left hand and point out her destination with her right. A fashion accessory AND a map - what more could a girl ask for?


1 comment:

Jake R said...

When I saw the "map that changed the world" in Chicago, I was pretty lucky, there was a lady (who I think was some sort of docent, she was wearing a field museum badge) who gave us a mini-lecture on it. If she wasn't there I might have just been like "Oh that's a very big very cool map" and just walked on. But after hearing the story behind it, I found it fascinating.